Retail News Breaks Archives
APhA poll shows pharmacists' top OTC picks
February 27th, 2012
WASHINGTON – The American Pharmacists Association (APhA) has released the results of a survey showing the top over-the-counter cold, flu and allergy medicines recommended by pharmacists.
APhA said Monday that the 2011 Over-The-Counter Product Survey, appearing in the association's Pharmacy Today publication, highlights the No. 1 recommended products of pharmacists polled in the adult allergy, sinus and decongestant categories.
Key findings of the OTC medicine survey included the following:
• Antihistamines: Claritin (27% of 3,976 pharmacist recommendations)
• Antitussives, Dextromethorphan: Delsym (41% of 2,984 pharmacist recommendations)
• Cold Liquid Products: Tylenol Cold Multi-Symptom (22% of 2,529 pharmacist recommendations)
• Decongestants: Sudafed (58% of 1,932 pharmacist recommendations)
• Expectorants: Mucinex/Mucinex D/Mucinex DM (70% of 1,645 pharmacist recommendations)
• Multisymptom Allergy and Hay Fever Products: Claritin-D (33% of 2,307 pharmacist recommendations)
• Multisymptom Cold or Flu Products: Mucinex D (30% of 2,177 pharmacist recommendations)
• Multisymptom Cold or Flu Products, Nighttime: NyQuil (30% of 1,234 pharmacist recommendations)
• Topical Decongestants: Afrin (64% of 1,372 pharmacist recommendations)
The poll, conducted in September, lists pharmacists' top OTC product picks in 77 categories. The annual survey tracks the OTC products that pharmacists are recommending to patients as well as the interactions they are having with those patients, APhA said.
"With more than 100,000 nonprescription medications on the market and more than 1,000 active ingredients, it's critical that patients consult their pharmacist to maximize the benefits from medications and minimize the potential for harmful drug interaction and/or side effects," APhA stated.