Retail News Breaks Archives
Latest Walgreens flagship store to open in San Francisco
May 7th, 2013
DEERFIELD, Ill. – Walgreen Co. is set to hold the second grand opening for a new flagship store this month, this time in San Francisco.
Walgreens said the new flagship store, located at Powell and O’Farrell streets in San Francisco's Union Square neighborhood, is slated to open Wednesday at 10 a.m. The drug chain opened a flagship outlet in Boston on May 1.
The San Francisco store will mark Walgreens' 10th flagship location. Besides Boston, the retailer has flagship stores in Manhattan (two); Chicago (two); Los Angeles (one); Las Vegas (one); Washington, D.C. (one); and San Juan, Puerto Rico (one).
"This is our first flagship location in Northern California, and we look forward to helping the residents and visitors of the Union Square neighborhood get, stay and live well," Mark Wagner, president of operations and community management at Walgreens, said in a statement. "Our flagship stores are unlike any traditional drug store and reflect our transformation into a retail health and daily living destination."
Walgreens said it has had a presence on the site of the San Francisco store since 1946. The expanded, bi-level store, tailored to reflect the character of San Francisco, will have many of the features offered at the chain's other flagship outlets, including a full pharmacy and the following:
• A look Boutique beauty department with prestige and niche cosmetic, skin care and hair care brands, including the Boots No7. brand.
• Specially trained beauty advisers and expert brow shaping and grooming services at tan eyebrow bar.
• Hundreds of fresh food items, including produce and high-quality, on-the-go meal options such as wraps, sandwiches and salads made fresh daily.
• A Coca-Cola Freestyle machine dispensing 130 varieties of Coca Cola fountain drinks.
• A self-serve frozen yogurt stations with a toppings bar and a juice and smoothie bar featuring fresh fruit and vegetables.
• An Upmarket Cafe with a barista preparing fresh-brewed premium coffee and espressos. • A broad selection of beer, wine and spirits and products for special occasions.
• A replica display of Ghirardelli Square that will pay homage to Ghirardelli's local history and offer one of the largest selections of Ghirardelli premium chocolates and gift selections in the San Francisco area.
At the store's ribbon-cutting ceremony, Walgreens will also be presenting the San Francisco Police Department with automated external defibrillators (AEDs) as part of the drug chain's commitment to the health of local residents. The chain said it's donating 10 AEDs, with a squad car from each of the city's 10 police districts receiving a device.